Sunday, October 13, 2013

560 miles on these legs.

It's here, it's here... marathon week is here!

I'm as excited as I am nervous.  My last "long run" is behind me and this week its just a few miles here and there before the main event.  Happy week of carb loading to me!  I'm excited to begin my 26th year off the way I've pictured myself and my life - healthy and happy.  I've said it before, but 2013 has truly been a year of change for me.  I've maintained my weight loss even though I haven't been eating perfectly.  My body has "fluffed" up a bit but my weight is the same as a month ago.  That's the carbs showing up :)  I'm going to take after the marathon and through our cruise to rest and recoup from the 30 weeks of beating I've put on my body and come back rested, recharge and ready to not only do a round of Insanity but I'm going to be doing an Advocare 24 day challenge as well! I'll be posting more about that and hoping to get a group together as well who want support one another and see the fabulous results we will all have before the holidays roll around.  I'm determined to lose another 7 pounds for the year to bring my total up to 60 pounds lost in one years time.

Tonights run I simply just let my legs take me the pace they wanted to go.  I didn't want to push hard (nor did I really want to run tonight at all but I knew I couldn't miss another run.  Besides, if I can't finish a 10K willingly now, how will I finish 26.2 next week?! Just go run, Lindsay.  And just like that... I was out the door.) and I didn't want to stress about anything so I just put my headphones in, did NOT use RunKeeper and tried not to pay attention to my watch except for when it beeped at the mile marks so I knew when to turn around.  I ran at an average pace of 11:28 tonight.  It was my fastest 10K time to date and I just went with it.  I'm signed up for the 12:30 min/mile pace group (5 hours, 30 minutes marathon finish time) and hoping to keep up the whole time.  My ability to currently run 11 minute miles with little effort at this point makes me feel that may actually be attainable for me to do.  I was nervous and had that time as a pace goal for awhile now but in all honesty as long as I finish before they shut the streets down and I get moved to the sidewalk it will be a victory.  I will be a marathoner.  I will have done what only 10% of people in the world do.

Here's the part where I talk about mediocrity.  I used to live the day to day, going to work, coming home, eating dinner and going to bed.  Maybe catch a movie on date night on Friday's.  Nothing extraordinary or special or truly meaningful of my time was happening.  Then I get this crazy idea that I'm tired of living this way, I want to change and I'm going to run a marathon.  Why?  Why not?  You can go about your days living without meaning or purpose or you can decide to do something great with the time we have on this earth.  You can decide that you don't want to live a mediocre life.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with comfortable and mediocre.  But there is something wrong with not living your life fully.  I find myself consistently setting goals for myself whether they be physical goals, educational goals, or the like.  I know I want to finally be able to finish a round of Insanity.  Last time I "tried" I barely got through the 25 minute fit test in what took me 45 minutes to do so.  I want to do a sprint triathlon next spring.  I want to look my best in my wedding dress.  I want to have a body capable of carrying a healthy pregnancy one day.  I want to be able to play with my future children. I want to live a long, healthy life.  I want to be a nurse anesthetist.  I want to be the best at what I do.  I want to live fully.

I've put 560 miles on these legs since the end of March, 29 weeks ago. I was so proud today when Kyle and I were in the car and he had his hand on my thigh when I was driving and said "these are some runners legs".  He is so right.  My legs are strong.  My legs have carried me at my heaviest and in my worst of runs.  My legs have proven my brain wrong time and time again when I didn't know if I would be able to finish a run.  I am so proud of these legs.

Believe there will be a full race report soon after the marathon.  I'm sure there will be a lot of tears at the finish line but every single tear will have been worth it.  I have exceeded my fundraising goal but of course am still accepting donations in my dad's honor for the Huntington's Disease Society of America on my FirstGiving page.  ( www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/lindsayintraining/columbusmarathon )

As always, I am greatful beyond measure for the support I've gotten through this blog, my Training Lindsay Facebook and Instagram pages and from your donations.  I pray and hope for a cure for Huntington's Disease everyday, count my blessings twice in that I do not carry the gene, and think of my dad who lives and pushes on every single day defying the odds and battling the disease.  I'm proud to be a charity athlete and to be able to do my part to support the cause.

Next time you hear from me... I'll be a MARATHONER!

L

No comments:

Post a Comment