Saturday, February 23, 2013

Today I felt like a real runner.

With my heart rate monitor on, earbuds in, compression socks, tights, Nike shirt and Brooks shoes laced up, I looked like a runner.  However, when I ran a mile in 12:47... I FELT like a runner.

Boys and girls, the moment I've been waiting on finally arrived!

I've read a lot of articles recently about running and follow some running related things on my twitter and they all said the same thing.  There's no event that makes you a runner.  It's what you feel like and you'll know when you are one.  Today was that day for me!

Yeah, I've completed two half marathons.  Did I run?  Not really.  Did I train?  Sure, to an extent.  I think looking the part as much as the time on the treadmill I saw made me feel it.

I started on the elliptical this morning as I had earlier this week.  I am going around 5.5-6.2 mph on the elliptical at a 3 resistance and in my target heart rate.  I'm seeing the distance rack up and thinking to myself "if I can do this on here... why not on the treadmill?"  So I tried it.  I set the treadmill at a 2 incline and a 4.5 mph pace Tuesday and a 4.8 mph pace today.  Was I breathing hard?  Sure, but I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE I WAS GOING TO DIE.  I probably could have kept going when I hit that mile mark.  That was my goal and I did it and I was elated.  So I hit the cool down and walked my heart rate down from 181 to 138 in no time.  My recovery is getting shorter, too.  It takes me at least 5 minutes on the elliptical to hit my 160 target heart rate which surprises me.  I can see it in my work outs, the number on the scale and by the way my clothes fit.  This time, it's all working.

I've never been so mentally focused on losing weight before.  As described before, I've tried different diets that I never stuck with just like every other overweight person out there.  This time, with the marathon in mind and the help of MyFitnessPal keeping track of my numbers, I'm actually doing it.  While I did not hit my 229 goal, I did still lose 2 pounds and I weighed in this morning at 231.

I also took the time to write out my training plan in a calendar to have it all in front of me with actual dates and months versus the chart that just started with "week 1...2....20" and really make it all feel real.  This last week it was 8 months until the marathon which means I have 8 more months of kicking butt to do to be ready for it.  Official 30 week marathon training schedule begins March 25th.

Another exciting opportunity may have presented itself and I will make sure to let you all in on that when I hear a final decision one way or another.

As always, thank you all for your kind words, love and support through this life changing process. An extra special thank you to Kyle who has been nothing but supportive in my training and eating changes.  I love you.


1 comment: