Saturday, May 3, 2014

Tomorrow morning.

At this time tomorrow, I'll be sitting with my love at Longhorn steakhouse eating my post-run ritual meal. It started after I finished my first half marathon in 2011 and I don't remember why we went there of all places to eat, but it kind of stuck.

When significant events (like tomorrow being my 6th half marathon!) happen along this journey I can't help but feel so nostalgic for all that's happened. I've been at this for 16 months now and it feels like 5 minutes. Some days feel like they drag on forever and then weeks and months have gone by in the blink of an eye. This time last year I was so happy to have lost 18 pounds and was wearing a cute maxi dress with NO SPANX. None! Then the next time I went to wear it, it was so big that I couldn't wear it and that was a first for me. Now I wore a dress this last week that was above the knee AND didn't require Spanx either.


The fact of the matter is when I step into my corral at the start tomorrow at the Cincinnati Flying Pig, I will likely be the only person who hasn't trained for this event. I haven't ran since the Heart Mini half in February. But the difference is now I'm so much healthier than I've ever bed and I'll be able to finish this race. In 2011 when I did my first half I was miserable and the first words out of my mouth when we got to the car and I sat down was "I'm NEVER doing that again". Moral of the story? Don't quit. You'll surprise yourself and the surprise and feelings of victory are so worth it.

Look at me now. That's all I've been thinking about today. Half Mary Number 6 - the half dozen - see you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment