Sunday, April 7, 2013

Yeah, so, I'm injured.

What a fantastic weekend...to get hurt.  Yes, that's right, I'm down and out.  On the couch, right ankle wrapped, ice bag on top with some ibuprofen on board.

Yesterday was going fabulously.  I slept in, had some breakfast and got myself together for the "long run" of the week which was 3.5 miles.  I knew we had some other plans for the day so I psyched myself up to pretty much run straight out for 2.5 miles and turn around for the last 1 to finish strong just between these two small(ish) hills.  I planned to run all out the last few minutes down the hill and walk the rest home for a nice little workout and this is not what happened.

The run was actually going well.  I was keeping a decent pace, had my headphones in jamming to some tunes and greeted many other runners with a smile and a "morning!" as we passed each other.  I was approaching the last downhill at 3.4 miles and was determined to kick the butt of this run and cruise downhill rocky style with my fists in the air - I didn't do the fist action but did cruise.  At 3.44 my right ankle twisted and I totally wiped out.  Cars stopped, a lady ran out from her house and all the while I was trying to keep myself together on hands and knees.  I thought I was going to puke I hurt so bad in that moment.  I told the lady in the car that I was going to call my boyfriend for a ride and thanks for stopping, the lady in the house offered to let me use her phone but I told her I had one.  I call Kyle for rescue as I stand up and realize there's no way I'm going to be able to get myself home.  He answers the phone "Hello?  Helloooooooo?  Hello, hello, hellooooo" and I'm yelling in the phone "KYLE I'M HURT THIS ISN'T FUNNY I NEED YOU TO COME GET ME".  Realizing he's still being funny I look down at my screen and see that I had pushed the mute button.  Awesome.  So that makes me even more pissed at myself.  I hit the button and tell him the same thing again and he's on his way to get me.  Another car stops in the meantime and offers to take me somewhere, I guess they had seen me go down but I told her I was fine and help was on the way.  What nice people we have in the community!  I was feeling glad that someone even offered help but was so ready for Kyle to get here.

I hobbled to the car and lost it.  I was SO MAD.  I was SO CLOSE!!! Grr.  Why do I have to get injured on a downhill sidewalk?  I really don't even know how it happened.  I opened my RunKeeper app that I use to track my runs and I was going a 10:00/mile pace when I fell. Again, SO MAD.  I was going to finish my run in under 44 minutes and now my ankle is throbbing and swollen and I'm sweaty and smelly and I just want to be home.

Kyle sprang to action, got the dog out of my way and got me set up on the couch with tissues for all my crying, an ice bag and pillows to prop my foot.  What a guy :).  I spent the afternoon icing on and off and watching my DVR'd shows for the week.  We had plans to go to my sister's to do a late Easter with my niece and nephew and I was going to drive but that wasn't going to happen on this ankle that I NEED for driving.  Crap.  We had a nice evening but I was sore and ready to be home.  Hobbling felt terrible at this point and we stopped at a Walgreens and I got a wrap and some naproxen to help with the swelling since I only had Tylenol at home.

The wrap made an instant difference with stabilizing this yucky ankle and helped me hobble a little better.  I slept with it on and with my foot propped and today it doesn't feel terrible.  It's still very swollen, about twice the size of my other ankle (and I commented just the other day how I don't have cankles anymore, guess not on the right side of my body).  Hopefully another day of minimal moving around will help me be ready for the first day at my new job tomorrow.

Speaking of that - I did debate going to urgent care but since I'm not full time at Bethesda after Friday and don't start at Children's until Monday I wasn't quite sure of my insurance status and whether it'd cost me an arm and a leg to be seen and have someone else wrap my foot for me when I can do that myself.  I'm not fully convinced I don't have a small fracture in my foot somewhere since I'm so swollen but I'll give it another day and if it doesn't go down I'll consider it again.  The timing sucks as far as my insurance status goes for an injury to happen but at least I'm still pretty far out from the marathon so I can hopefully resume my training in a week or two without getting too far behind. The next two weeks of my new job are orientation things with the hospital so I will be sitting a lot for all of that and I should be healed in time to start up on the floor.

I had a wonderful send off from Bethesda and felt the love as I departed on Friday.  I got several cards, a beautiful orchid and my favorite - a Dairy Queen ice cream cake.  I believe some of the best people in healthcare work there and I was blessed to have learned from all my mentors there.  I will be back - don't worry!  I'm staying optional to pick up a day here or there and help with lunch breaks on my days off.

Here's to a fresh start - new job and successful healing from this injury and no more to follow!

2 comments:

  1. You made the cankle statement to me as you headed out of the locker room on Thursday. Hey, it's a little setback, but stick with it. You are going to do this. Glad you have general orientation and will be sitting. Try to get that leg up even there. I have a great recipe for the best ice bag in the world if you need it. Had it for my shoulder and always have one in the freezer. Kyle would have to pick up just a few items. I'll send the info to you if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that sounds like a really bad fall! It really must be frustrating to be so close to your goal, only to falter. Maybe you were so focused on getting to the goal that you failed to pay attention to your surroundings. Perhaps you missed a step, or perhaps you stepped on a crack. What matters is that you were fine and were surrounded by people who cared. They were so thoughtful! I hope your foot's okay now and you have reached your goal.

    Ronald Markizon @ FootCareCenters.com

    ReplyDelete