Monday, December 23, 2013

Driven, Fearless, Unstoppable - Meet Paige!

Hey you guys!

Christmas is coming and I logged 66 hours working this last week.  I finally got a day off and I paired up with one of my favorite bloggers (that I know in real life!  Imagine that!) to do a feature story on her and her ever growing business.  Meet Paige of PaigeyCakes Social, a native of Marion, Ohio and a former 9-5 girl who took a chance on herself and her gut feelings and started her own business this year! We sat by each other in Bio 2 my senior/her junior year of high school and she was a blast. We've kept in touch through Facebook and Instagram since high school and I've loved watching this girl take off! As a mid 20's girl myself, I can't imagine doing what she did, but it sure is paying off for her!  I got a quick interview with the lady of the hour and here's what she had to say on taking risks, building her business, and being an all around bad-ass.  Meet Paige!

Paige Moseley, founder of PaigeyCakes Social


What made you decide to start your own business?


Honestly, I always pictured owning my own business, or being in charge..I just didn't have any clarity on what I would be doing exactly! When other kids wanted to play "school", I was playing young executive.  I have a creative & rebellious personality so I HATED being told what to do and how to do it...so..that leaves just one option, right? The thought of NOT doing something I absolutely loved was world shattering to me! I am also a firm believer in gut feelings. Something was just gnawing at my soul. I seriously called my boss at midnight and told her I was leaving to start my own business. I had what was in my bank account and a dream. 

Where did your idea for Paigey Cakes Social come from?

Well obviously I was blogging and people were really receptive to it. In the blogging process, I found myself using social media religiously to distribute the posts and connect with my followers/fans. It just kept snowballing from there. I saw what I could do with my little brand, basically just my name & my writing, and wanted to help small to medium sized businesses do the same. I saw a HUGE void and I am trying to fill it. I mean...if I have over 500 followers on Twitter, there is no excuse for a COLLEGE to only have 200. Someone is dropping the ball. 

Where do you see your business going?

I don't want to put a cap on it, lets put it this way..... I want to be a very very profitable small business. In a year ( 6 months if I keep this hustle up) I will be in an office setting, only it will be a creative space! Art on the walls, music playing, other creative things around me creating really amazing content & service for our clients. It will be a social media agency in essence, but I am also in the process of branding myself & my message. I just promise it will be something very different...not something you have seen in this town before. 

Do you feel supported by friends and family taking such a risk in starting your own business and leaving your 9-5 job?

Unbelievably supported. I couldn't ask for a more supportive family, fiance' & friends. Even people I barely know, just through my blog,  are my cheerleaders. Hell, even my old boss is a huge supporter. It's really moving and honestly, I owe 90% of it to them. The other 10% is just raw ambition. That is why I am always trying to give back. Give the universe back just a portion of what it has given to me in the form of family and friends.

What has been the hardest part in being a small business owner?

....I'm just going to be honest here because I know a lot of new business owners wont admit it. The HARDEST part is cash flow. How much you make & bring in each month is directly related to how hard you are willing to work. Which is the most brilliant part about being small business owner. Even when I am having a good month, bills are paid, money in savings, business tools are covered and I have money for extras..I can still make ONE more phone call & make more. There is no roof. I lean into the fear. I welcome it. One of my favorite quotes is  'Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't"..A lot of people aren't willing to go without. I have to take chances and KNOW it is going to work out. I'll use the last $20 in my "extra" account to go to a restaurant, knowing that I will meet the owner & close that deal. And I do. 

What words of advice would you give for starting your own business? 

Just f*&king do it. Do not tow the line. Do not follow protocol. If you love what you do, others will love it with you! I seriously believe in myself so much, it is irrational to some people. lol you have to. If you don't.. don't even think about starting a business. I am serious...you will fail.  Work on that first, then come back to the idea. 

How important is social media marketing for other businesses? What do you tell someone looking to get their names out there about what you do and why they need you? (because we know they do, even if they don't)

It is completely imperative. Social Media Marketing is a marathon, not a sprint, and that race started 5 years ago. Your fans/clients/potential clients are all on the sidelines cheering for you AND YOU AREN'T EVEN IN THE RACE!  You haven't even started warming up. I tell them they needed to start using social media seriously and effectively, yesterday. The huge & devastating misconception they have  is they think Social Media is just something their teenage daughter is on. They know they have to have it, but they don't know why. And if you don't know why, you aren't doing it right. In fact, stop right now..because no social media is better then bad social media.  If they don't get serious about it NOW, we will be having a completely different conversation a year from now. I would tell them to hire an agency to handle it for them. It doesn't have to be PaigeyCakes Social..but it should be. Take the money you are spending on radio & print ads, cut that in half and use the other half on social media, if not more. Marion is small, no one business is dominating the social media game yet, but in a few months...they will. And it will be my client. 

Tell us something we don't know!

Oh gosh! I am pretty much an open book. I guess it would be how sensitive I am. Seriously, I have cried twice today. I cry when I am mad, when I am happy, when I am sad.All of my emotions are tied to my damn tear ducts. You can be a strong women & still be an emotional woman. I think how deeply I feel things makes me great at what I do. I really care. A funny thing starts to happen when you care about people.....they start to care about you to. 




Thanks Paige and congrats on all of your success!  Not only is she kicking ass in her business, but in the gym as well.  (I couldn't leave that part out of this fitness blog!)  AND she just got ENGAGED this week so I'd say she's got it going on in all aspects of life right now.  I'm so proud of her and to call her a friend.

What do you think about the guest interview?  Want to see more of these? Let me know.

L




1 comment:

  1. Amazing interview, Lindsay. I hope her business is doing well. Quitting your job to venture on your own was a big decision for her to make, and I admire her for following her guts. Not everyone will be brave enough to go and seek growth outside of their comfort zone. Cameron @ ImmediateCapital.com

    ReplyDelete