Sunday, April 13, 2014

Everyone has the same 24 hours.

That's what we hear all the time - everyone has the same 24 hours in each day, right? If you want something bad enough, you'll make time for it. 

Sure.

Well, I'm here to tell you that no matter your intentions, sometimes it's literally impossible to do everything in a day and feel satisfied. I want to wake up at a decent hour, eat breakfast, workout, go to work, run in the evening, walk my dog with my fiancé, cook and eat dinner together, watch our favorite TV shows and read a few chapters of a book before getting to bed and getting 8 solid hours of sleep. That to me sounds like a 48 hour day.

While we were in the hospital this week we did slow down, but I also felt incredibly behind. I missed two days of work plus an extra shift I picked up and needed to work. My "make $800 extra to put toward the wedding" idea has been successful but so have other expenses that have come up along the way. 

I'm also stressed because I was supposed to start on my new plan this past week and that didn't happen either. I sat and ate hospital food and fro-yo for most of the week and I'm not a fan of open salad bars for hygienic purposes. I was 4 miles from home with an empty fridge and I was between a rock and a hard place.

I worked night shift last night and slept most of the day. We took a walk around our apartment complex, and my planned workout needed equipment I didn't have at my apartment gym and LA Fitness closes crazy early on Sundays. If I didn't love Zumba so much I'd go down the road to the cheap 24 hour gym. But here I am, on the struggle bus (AKA my couch) and I'm totally pulling the "I'll start on Monday card" and I will. I'm on call tomorrow and am likely to get called it, but I'm making the most of my day before then. 

I have so many things I want to do and am struggling with legitimately having the time for it all. I want to run all these half marathons (and I will, I mean I registered already!) but the training hasn't happened. I want to become a triathlete this year. I want to lift weights and continue to lose weight and look fabulous in my wedding dress & bikini. I want to get Zumba certified. I need to take my GRE, need to take my critical care certification, and get my grad school applications done. I need to work overtime and take call to pay for the wedding. I need to spend time with my fiancé and enjoy the rest of our engagement. I need to spend time with my family. I want to read because I love to.

One day, one meal, one workout at a time. Breathe in, breathe out.

2 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about as far as the struggle bus goes. I've been there, and sometimes I still get on the struggle bus but you're doing the right thing. One day, one meal, one workout at a time really is the best policy. because little by little becomes a lot! you'll get what you need to get done, done because you're YOU and you're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach girl! It's perfectly OK to feel overwhelmed but it's totally NOT OK to let it consume you. Like you said, one breath, one hour, one workout, one single day at a time. Keep your head up and keep working hard. Just think, if you weren't crazy busy you would be bored to death, and that's never good. Can't wait to meet up in Cincy! You are quite inspirational and aren't giving yourself near enough credit.

    ReplyDelete