Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm not always Supergirl.

As I was working this week, thinking about all of the things this weekend I had going on, I was overwhelmed.

I have always kept my plate pretty full, even back to middle and high school where I was in every club, activity, and sport possible and a steady job when I turned 16.  I'm used to being busy, I don't know what to do when I'm not, and that's just how I operate.  It's rare that I feel like I can't do it all. I know, I know.. not everyone can.

I was thinking about all of the things I have going on - working a rotating schedule, picking up overtime for wedding costs, planning said wedding, running, Zumba, a conference in February, a conference in April, my niece's birthday, Kyle's birthday, work committee meetings, studying for the GRE, studying for my CCRN certification and getting my applications done for nurse anesthesia school.  I was having a moment where my brain finally caught up with real life and I was like WOAH.  I'm the queen of having it all together, anyone who has seen my planner knows I've got a system.  It works for me and I like the visual organization of my insane life, but it was just over the top.

I made the decision to back out of the full marathon in May and just go for the half.  I won't stop running, I'm hooked now. I can still safely run a half even now and I think my focus for the year is going to be on doing half marathons, improving my time, and finishing my sprint triathlon.  It was a hard decision to make but I think for my sanity it's what I need to do and I'm 95% okay with it.  I wanted to kill the hills but it's just not in the cards right now. I wrote about being realistic when training for a marathon and that's what I'm being right now.  For once, I'm taking my own advice.

Here's to multiple 13.1 PR times for the year and a little less stress in my life.

Have you ever committed to a race and life got in the way?  

No comments:

Post a Comment